Join us in removing Buckthorn from the Minnehaha Creek area. There are a variety of tasks and all are welcome.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 9:30 am-12 pm
- Where: Meet at the North Side of the creek, east of Girard Av S.
- Questions? email Lynnhurst.email@example.com
What to wear & bring: we’ll be in the woods along the creek so wear shoes or boots that can get muddy. Also bring gloves.
WHY IS BUCKTHORN SO BAD?
- Buckthorn squeezes out native plants for nutrients, sunlight and moisture. It literally chokes out surrounding trees and makes it impossible for any new growth to take root under its canopy of dense vegetation.
- Buckthorn degrades wildlife habitats and alters the natural food chain and growth of an otherwise healthy forest.
- Buckthorn can host pests like Crown Rust Fungus and Soybean Aphids. It lacks “natural controls” like insects or disease that would curb its growth.
Sponsored by the Lynnhurst Neighborhood Association and the Lynnhurst Environmental Committee.