Minneapolis Solid Waste and Recycling customers in Lynnhurst who live in the first-phase rollout areascan still sign up to get their green carts this year, others should sign-up NOW for cart delivery in spring 2016. The GREAT NEWS is that Lynnhurst leads in total new sign-ups (42% of eligible) across the city, after the handful of pilot program neighborhoods. Way to go
Here are five good reasons for people to sign up:
- To reduce waste. More than a third of our trash is organic material that can be composted. Most families can divert up to 10 pounds of materials to organics recycling each week.
- To help create more compost. Things like meat, bones, dairy products and compostable plastics can’t go in a backyard composting bin, but they can be collected through organics recycling and turned into compost.
- To save money. Once you start producing less trash, you may be able to switch to a smaller garbage cart, which will cut $3 off your monthly bill.
- To be a part of the sustainability trend.More than 29,500 households have already signed up to participate.
- To help improve soil quality. Using compost returns nutrients to the soil, reduces erosion, and reduces the need for watering and applying chemical fertilizers.
Minneapolis recycling customers can learn more about organics recycling at Mpls Organics